Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bianca the Foodie Cooks Vegan - Breakfast

I am starting on a week long Vegan diet. (Yes, I watched Oprah!). The most important thing that I must remember is to include both good fats and Protein in all my meals. (Thanks Dr's. Hyman & Amen!)

What is interesting is that we think the only way to get our Protein is to consume animal products. In reality plant based products can also be rich in Protein.

For breakfast I am making Steel Cut Irish Oatmeal (My fave is McCann's Nutritional Facts below) w/fruits and nuts.

Although you can purchase quick cooking (microwave packets) McCann's I prefer the old fashioned ones. I cook the oatmeal in my rice cooker. Some rice cookers have a setting for porridge, mine does not so I cook it on the regular setting.  The recipe that follows makes enough for an entire week! I store it in the fridge and warm up enough for each breakfast as I need it! So I get the convenience of a quick breakfast with the taste of the traditionally cooked oatmeal.


RECIPE: 

3 CUPS OF WATER
1 CUP OF STEEL CUT IRISH OATMEAL
1/4 DRIED CRANBERRIES (OPTIONAL) NOTE: IF YOU DON'T USE THE DRIED CRANBERRIES, THEN ONLY USE 2 1/2 CUPS OF WATER.
1 CINNAMON STICK
CANOLA OIL SPRAY (optional)

  1. Spray rice cooker insert with Canola Oil Spray
  2. Place all ingredients in rice cooker
  3. Secure Lid and press cook
  4. When the cooker clicks to warm, check oatmeal for doneness. I like mine creamy, so sometimes I will stir in a little more water and press "cook" again for another short cycle.
To change it up I serve it various ways:
  • Topped with chopped apples and chopped almonds
  • Topped with 1/2 banana (potassium!), chopped walnuts
  • Topped with pineapple and chopped pecans
  • Pour a little bit of Almond Breeze (unsweetened) and sprinkle with additional cinnamon



Nutrition Facts

Serving size: 1/4 cup (40g) dry

Amount per serving
Calories 150
Calories from Fat 20
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.5g
3%
Saturated Fat 0.5g
0%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
0%
Sodium 0mg
0%
Total Carbohydrate 27g
9%
Dietary Fiber 3g 15%
Soluble Fiber 1g
Insoluble Fiber 2g
Sugars less than 1g
Protein 4g
Vitamin A 0% - Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2% - Iron 8%

No comments:

Post a Comment