Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Journey Begins

I would like to begin by telling you a little about myself, I was born in Cuba and emigrated to the Untied States as a child when my country was taken over by a Communist Dictatorship (not naming names, but you know who I mean).

My widowed mother and I lived in Miami Beach, for the first 4 years. We then moved to California and lived in Santa Monica where I attended school. I married at the tender age of 17, mind you I didn't have to I was a virgin but somehow I thought it was a great idea at the time.  Who knew? The marriage ended 4 years later.

I worked for Bank of America and Beverly Hills National Bank and then change careers and went to work for Kaiser Permanente, on a temporary assignment that lasted 35 years!

In the fall of 2007 while working as a Senior Project Manager on a huge project implementing a full electronic medical record at Kaiser, a project which I worked on for what seemed to be the last 10 years of my life, I was hospitalized and eventually was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.  This was quite a blow as my mother had been suffering from Parkinson's since the age of 67, and at 88 years of age is wheelchair bound and living in a nursing facility.

What I can only credit to the grace of God, I was able to transition from working 12 to 14 hour days and traveling for Kaiser five days a week, to being on long-term disability which eventually led to early retirement. In 2008 I stopped driving due to Parkinson's.

In the last three years I have attempted to forge a life for myself that allows me to use all the gifts that God has given me in a non-traditional way within the limitations of PD.

So I asked myself what do I love and what do I want to accomplish? Well I love to travel, I love to eat, and I love to cook.  So I started a blog dedicated to showing the world that while I might I have Parkinson's disease, Parkinson's disease doesn't have me! 

In the blog “Bianca The Foodie Cooks” I cook, I share tips and gadgets, I hopefully make you smile! Most importantly, it is my desire to show the World that life can be lived richly after PD. I pray the blog will also give HOPE to my fellow PD brothers and sisters.

Join me on my journey! It will include posting videos of me cooking, travels to the South Beach Wine and Food Festival in February, 2011 and other marvelous places as well as a glimpse of my life.

My plan is to not hide a thing, so sometimes you will see trembling because that's who I am today and I'm proud of what I'm accomplishing!

WARMEST REGARDS!











No comments:

Post a Comment